In parallel with our architectural services, Hurd Rolland provides dedicated expert consultancy services across the UK. We have comprehensive experience in acting as expert witnesses, in investigating and rectifying construction defects, and in providing strategic planning advice on built heritage matters. Please contact Ken Williamson to discuss any of these services in more depth.
01 Expert Witness
We have over 30 years of experience in providing expert architectural support and advice to the legal profession in relation to construction disputes and professional negligence claims and to developers and planning consultants in relation to planning disputes involving design and built heritage issues. In this regard our core services include:
- Investigation of Construction Disputes and Professional Negligence Claims
- Assessment of Contractual Obligations and Professional Duties
- Defects Analysis
- Preparation of Independent Expert Reports
- Presentation of Evidence in Court and at Formal Hearings (Arbitration, Adjudication, Mediation etc)
- Assessment of Design and Conservation issues
- Preparation of Precognitions and Presentation of Evidence at Public Planning Inquiries
02 Defects Analysis
We provide bespoke defects analysis services with expert experience over a wide range of building types including;
- Swimming Pool and Leisure Centres
- Hospital and Health Care Facilities
- Residential Developments
- Office Developments
- Retail Developments
- Light Manufacturing Facilities
- Refrigerated Food Processing Plants
- Private Houses
On the basis of this technical expertise we have wide experience in the specification and procurement of major and minor scale defects rectification works.
03 Adjudication and Mediation Services
Ken Williamson is on the RIAS Panel of Mediators.
Donald Canavan and Colin Adam are on the RIAS Panel of Adjudicators.
04 Strategic Listed Building and Built Heritage Advice
We are among the foremost providers of Strategic Listed Building and Built Heritage Advice in Scotland. In this regard we provide the following bespoke services:
- Strategic advice in relation to proposed development within heritage sensitive sites
- Analysis of Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and other Built Heritage Designations
- Statements of Significance
- Assessment of benefits and impact of development on Built Heritage Assets
- Preparation of Cultural Heritage Chapters in relation to Environmental Assessment
- Heritage Statements in support of applications for Planning/Listed Building/Conservation Area Consent, setting out cases for consent in terms of the relevant national and local planning guidance
- Preparation of independent expert reports and statements in support of Planning Appeals
- Strategic Built Heritage Adviser – preparation of heritage cases including those for Quartermile (former Edinburgh Royal Infirmary), and former Scottish Provident Headquarters, St Andrew Square, in Edinburgh; Candleriggs Redevelopment and former Ruchill Hospital, Glasgow; Woolmanhill Hospital and Marischal Square, Aberdeen.
- Planning Inquiry Built Heritage Experts for redevelopment of Queen Street Station, regeneration of Haymarket, Edinburgh, Wind Farms at Clashindarroch and Aultmore, Supermarkets at Haddington, Crieff, Aberdeen, Helensburgh, Greenock, Housing at Dundee, Chester & St Andrews.
- Cultural Heritage Chapters for various Environmental Impact Assessments including Queen Street Station, Haymarket, Quartermile, St Andrew Square, Fountainbridge.
- Commercial planning feasibility studies for various heritage sensitive sites in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Paisley, Ayr, Perth, Aberdeen and Bearsden.